this was one of those meals that i'm sooo glad made a ton of leftovers. because i've been eating on this rice mix for the past two days now! when husband asked if i was making anything good for dinner, and i brought out the enameled dutch oven, he got excited-- and said that anything that comes from that pot is wonderful.
and it's true.
here's to another pinterest recipe!
martha stewart's chicken and rice with corn and sun-dried tomatoes:
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces i used a mix of thighs, breasts, and legs. some with skin, some without
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced medium
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced medium my yellow and orange had to go first, so i used one and a half peppers, any color you want
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest i didn't have, so i didn't use.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- added fresh rosemary, the chopped leaves from one sprig
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cups frozen corn (from a 16-ounce bag)
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water use the chicken broth. it's worth it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in lower third. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over high. Cook chicken, skin side down, until golden and crisp, 6 minutes. Flip chicken and cook until browned, 6 minutes. Transfer to a large plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic, and bell pepper to pot. Cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon, until onion is translucent, 4 minutes. Stir in lemon zest, oregano, cayenne, and rice and cook 1 minute.
- Add corn, tomatoes, and broth and season with salt and pepper. Arrange chicken, skin side up, on top of rice mixture. Bring to a boil, cover pot, and place in oven. Bake until chicken is cooked through and liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.